I’m a person that would describe myself as “slightly introverted”. I cannot begin to describe how deeply uncomfortable it was to walk into the registration room on Sunday to multiple employees cheering and clapping at me, trying to give me high fives. I understand the want to make people excited, but this needs to have its limits. During the conference, I got cheered and high-fived pretty much the entire week for things like:
- Picking up a bag of chips.
- Walking down some stairs.
- Coming out of the toilet.
- Walking back up the earlier-mentioned stairs.
- Walking down the street outside the conference when I was going somewhere else.
I’m not especially introverted and I generally find Apple’s “high five culture” strange.